Friday 28 February 2014

Propagation News


What you're looking at is the cut away, sealed connection between the mains lead and the soil-warming cable from our chilli propagating table.  We couldn't understand why there was no heat and no condensation on the plastic cover even a week after sowing.

After taking the thermostat controller apart, twice, and even taking the thermostat itself apart, I decided the fault might well be inside this sealed, plastic junction.  It did seem a bit bent.  Cutting it open, I discovered the live wire had come away from its connection to the soil-warming cable.  A pretty unlikely event.

On Thursday, I bought a unit from Dave English in Ennis for connecting cables for use in damp conditions.  It was cheaper and, I am assured, faster than sending to England for a new cable or thermostat from e-bay.  Tomorrow, I'll make the connection and seal the unit.  More pics to follow.

Today, I can report the first germinations.  There is one Filius Blue chilli sprouting.  Some of the Broad Beans have also started and the Gaillardia has germinated too.


This is the gizmo I bought from Dave English.
He the man.


No comments:

Post a Comment